Environmental Advocates of New York seeks applicants for our Clean Water Associate position. This position is integral to Environmental Advocates’ water policy work, and the right candidate will analyze, advocate, and organize on a range of issues to protect the state’s waters.
Specifically, the position will work hand-in-hand with our Water & Natural Resources Director, leading and assisting on campaigns to protect New York’s waters from fracking waste, industrial, agricultural, climate and sewage pollution, and other emerging issues including unregulated chemicals and lead contamination.
Environmental Advocates has served as the state’s government watchdog in Albany for nearly 50 years. We are a nonprofit organization that advances the cause of environmental protection and we seek candidates who are highly motivated to change public policy and build the movement for sustainability and conservation.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with the applicant’s experience. Excellent health benefits, retirement savings including an employer contribution, and a vibrant, fast-paced work environment.
The Clean Water Associate is a full-time salaried exempt position that reports to the Water & Natural Resources Director. The Associate analyzes state policy, advocates for strong standards, and organizes activists to hold state leaders accountable on environmental issues. This includes, but is not limited to: reviewing, and advocating for, implementation and enforcement of the state’s environmental policies; crafting and lobbying for legislation before the Executive and Legislative branches; crafting and lobbying for policy positions with executive agencies, Division of Budget, and the Governor’s office; and working with colleague organizations, our members, and the general public to advance our positions.
Successful applicants will have a broad knowledge of environmental issues, experience in direct advocacy or lobbying, and have worked on issue- based campaigns.
- Lead advocacy efforts that fall within program areas (i.e., fracking waste, water pollution, land use and conservation, and invasive species issues);
- Serve as a spokesperson and lobbyist before the state legislature, executive agencies, general public and the media;
- Work with the Water & Natural Resources Director, communications, and campaign staff to develop and execute a communications strategy that includes digital communications, traditional media, and the development of other outreach materials;
- Work as part of a team to develop and execute strategies to achieve the organization’s policy goals;
- Conduct public outreach and be able to build and lead effective coalitions; and
- Conduct analysis of specific regulations, legislation, the state budget and other policies as needed.
- Develop goals for programs and projects including intermediate objectives and timelines for achieving them;
- Stay up-to-date on developments that influence programs and projects; and
- Provide recommendations on the strategic direction of programs and projects and identify what Environmental Advocates’ priorities should be in those areas.
- At least two years of experience in advocacy, community organizing, policy analysis, and/or government relations;
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, public administration, economics, or other applicable fields;
- Understanding of New York State government and the budget process;
- Excellent quantitative analysis skills;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities, manage multiple projects, and make decisions under pressure;
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Excellent verbal and writing skills;
- Strong interest in environmental policy and politics; and
- A strong will to succeed against all odds.
If this sounds like the job for you, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Clean Water Associate” in the subject line. No calls please.