Environmental Advocates of New York seeks experienced and senior level applicants for the position of Director of Communications and Marketing.
Founded in 1969, Environmental Advocates is the primary environmental government watchdog in Albany and a leading voice for conservation, the environment and public health in New York State. Environmental Advocates is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with a staff of 12.
The Director of Communications and Marketing is a full-time exempt position reporting to the Executive Director. The Director of Communications and Marketing oversees the organization’s communications/outreach efforts to diverse audiences including the media, elected officials, our membership, and the general public.
The Director of Communications and Marketing has primary responsibility for telling our story, building the organization’s messaging calendar, preparing staff for interviews and speaking opportunities, developing publications and printed materials (most of which are designed in-house), and managing our online communications and social media. In addition to working with our staff, the Communications Director works closely with allied groups on a variety of campaigns.
This is a senior staff position and helps guide the organization’s overall direction and budget. The position works closely with all staff to ensure the consistency and quality of Environmental Advocates’ message and brand. Currently the Director of Communications and Marketing supervises one full-time staff person, but that is expected to grow.
Communications Planning & Execution
- Design and implement a long-term strategic communications and marketing plans to ensure organizational visibility and recognition;
- Work with front-line advocacy team and Director of Campaigns to create and execute issue-specific communications that support the organization’s environmental policy goals;
- Work with development staff to determine how to market Environmental Advocates to prospective members, donors, and other potential financial supporters;
- Manage relationships with reporters, editorial writers, and other members of the media;
- Ensure that all staff are effective spokespeople; and
- Plan and execute reactive and proactive media outreach strategies in order to secure high profile media coverage.
- Oversee www.eany.org as well as various campaign-specific sites;
- Lead our digital media engagement;
- Work with Director of Campaigns to engage our followers and activists;
- At least seven years of experience in strategic communication, public relations, or journalism strategic communications;
- Bachelor’s degree require, a master degree is preferred;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with an attention to detail and commitment to accuracy;
- Ability to communicate and design communications for a variety of audiences and across a variety of on- and off-line communications platforms;
- A 24/7 mentality and willingness to work nontraditional hours when needed; and
- A strong desire to build public support and power for protecting New York’s environment.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience, but it is expected to be at senior level for Albany-based non-profit. We also offer excellent health benefits, retirement savings including an employer contribution, and a vibrant, fast-paced work environment.
How to Apply
Please email your resume or CV, cover letter, list of references, and a writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only email submissions will be accepted. Please do not mail application materials. No phone calls please.