Environmental Advocates of New York is the primary environmental government watchdog in Albany and a leading voice for conservation, the environment and public health in New York State.
Our vision is that by mid-21st century, New York State is an international green leader due to its clean and healthy waters, 100% renewable energy powered economy, and vibrant and safe communities. To secure this vision we will work in communities all across the state to educate and engage the public to ensure that the environment is protected and that policy change is made to make New York cleaner and greener.
We are seeking a Deputy Director to join our team and manage our advocacy efforts at federal, state and local levels. The Deputy will also oversee our newly created engagement effort where staff are working in partnership with people and community-based organizations that are fighting for a healthier New York.
The Deputy Director reports directly to the Executive Director. The Deputy Director is a senior staff member, making important managerial, strategic, policy, development and budgetary decisions for the organization. The Deputy shall assume the day-to-day operations of the office in the absence of the Executive Director. The Deputy will directly supervise the organization’s program directors, program associates, campaigns staff and any consultants who support the organization’s programmatic and advocacy efforts.
The Deputy Director will be responsible for all aspects of Environmental Advocates policy priorities including identifying emerging issues; defining short- and long-term policy objectives; overseeing policy analysis and research; and determining strategies for pursuing our objectives primarily before New York’s executive branch and the New York Legislature, but also federal and local governments.
The Deputy Director must have an appreciation and understanding of the broad spectrum of environmental issues that Environmental Advocates works on and that can potentially arise. The Deputy must also have a deep understanding of the workings of politics and the legislative process (in New York State is a big plus), as well as the workings of executive branch agencies.
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience and is consistent with what a deputy for a non-for-profit organization that is based in Albany, New York would command.
- Set strategic direction for Environmental Advocates’ programs with a focus on policy goals.
- In coordination with Environmental Advocates’ staff, develop and implement effective strategies and tactics that achieve the organization's strategic policy goals.
- Work with program and campaigns staff to effectively build coalitions within the broader environmental community and recruit new allies.
- Coordinate with appropriate staff, serve as a senior spokesperson and help identify opportunities for media outreach, member engagement, and strategic outreach to board members and major donors.
- Work closely with the Board of Director’s Program Committee to keep the board well-engaged in advocacy goals and to receive input from board members regarding our policy goals and strategies for achieving those goals.
- Oversee the actions of Environmental Advocates’ program staff, including Program Directors and Associates, the Campaign Director and Associate as well as legislative outreach staff and interns.
- Demonstrated track record of managing staff, implementing inclusive practices, and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Effective verbal skills and an ability to communicate complex environmental and policy topics to a variety of lay and expert audiences.
- Adept at setting goals, identifying intermediate objectives, and finding the resources necessary to achieve those goals and objectives.
- Ability to lead through advocacy with a commitment to making a difference in all communities across New York.
- Bachelor’s degree with 10 years of experience in public policy or related field.
How to Apply
Environmental Advocates of New York is an equal opportunity employer. Please email your resume or CV, cover letter, list of three references, and a writing sample to Peter M. Iwanowicz, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Include in the subject line “Deputy Director.”
Only email submissions will be accepted. Please do not mail application materials or call.
Environmental Advocates is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy that an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state or local law is not and will not be considered in any decision regarding recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, classification, compensation, benefits or other employment action. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.